DARASA

ETIQUETTE: USE OF POLITE LANGUAGE (KCSE ENGLISH PAPER 1)


CLASS: FORM ONE

ORAL SKILLS: LISTENING AND SPEAKING


ETIQUETTE: USE OF POLITE LANGUAGE


Objectives: 

By the end of the lesson, the learner should be able to: 

    i.        Appreciate the need to demonstrate good manners 

  ii.        Practise good manners through speech


Etiquette

This is the customary code of polite behaviour in a society or among members of a particular professional group. 

In this lesson we shall explore the need to apply acceptable polite behaviour in different social situations. 

Since we're social beings we should always exhibit good manners (polite social behaviour). Also, always remember to use polite language.

Etiquette polite language

 

Polite words and phrases 

·        Thank you: You say "Thank you" when someone gives you a gift or does something nice for you. Even if you don't like the gift, it is polite to show gratitude by saying "Thank you". This warms the other person’s heart and makes you genial or amiable. Everyone likes a polite person. 

·        You're welcome: When someone says "Thank you" you should say "You're welcome”. You may also say “My pleasure", “I was happy to do it", “Don’t mention it" or any other variation.

·        Please: You say "please" when making a polite request. Remember to say it with a sincere tone. 

·        Excuse me: You say "Excuse me" when you want to get someone's attention -that is if you need to talk to them. When you say excuse me you wait until the person looks at you or nods before you begin talking. You may also use it when you cough, sneeze or interrupt something. You may also use "Excuse me" to politely tell someone you're leaving. In more formal situations we use "Pardon me" instead. 

·        I beg your pardon: When you want someone to repeat what they just said you say "I beg your pardon”. Avoid impolite responses like "What?" (Remember, pardon does not mean repeat, therefore, don't say "Please pardon what you have said" .You may say "May you repeat what you have said?" or" Could you repeat what you said? ") 

·        May: The phrase "May I" makes you sound well mannered. Consider introducing your statements with "May" for example "May I borrow your pen?”, “May you mark my book?" or "May I go out?" 

·        I'm sorry: When you make a mistake or do something wrong, hurt someone's feelings or do something you should not have done you say "I'm sorry". It is polite to acknowledge your mistake and show regret.

 


Greetings

Always remember to begin your conversations with greetings. Greetings are important since they help to: 

·        Establish rapport

·        Set the mood for a conversation or a presentation

·        Break the ice between strangers 

 

Read the conversation below and identify the use of polite words and phrases. 

Nakhanu: Excuse me sir, may I come in? 

Mwalimu: Please do. 

Nakhanu: Good morning sir, how are you? 

Mwalimu: I am fine thank you. May I help you? 

Nakhanu: Sorry to bother you, may you mark my book please? 

Mwalimu: I am afraid I'm busy at the moment, I'll mark it later. 

Nakhanu: Thank you sir. 

Mwalimu: You're welcome. 

Nakhanu: I have a lesson to attend sir, excuse me. 

Mwalimu: You may leave. 

Nakhanu: Thank you sir.

 

Polite language is always appropriate. Consider using it at all times when speaking to other people. Being friendly and polite makes you likeable, get ahead in work and business and may help you make friends and acquaintances. Avoid words that may offend other people.

 


KCSE SAMPLE QUESTIONS ON ETIQUETTE-USE OF POLITE LANGUAGE

KCSE ENGLISH 2019 PAPER 1

3 (e) For each of the situations below, write what you would say. 

(i) Would you like to join us for tea? (1 mark)

(ii) Thank you for the wonderful gift. (1 mark) 

(iii) During a group discussion you are not quite sure what someone has just said. You want to seek clarification. (1 mark) 

(iv) You did not complete your homework because you were not feeling well last night. You go to the class teacher to explain. (1 mark)

 

KCSE ENGLISH 2018 PAPER 1

3 (d) Read the dialogue below then answer the questions that follow. 

Etiquette: Polite Language
Courtesy: Atika School 

(i)What marks politeness in this negotiation? (2 marks) 

(ii)What in Ms. Simiyu's behaviour encourages Kantai to continue with the negotiation? (2 marks) 



KCSE ENGLISH 2016 PAPER 1

3 (e)

 

Etiquette: Polite langauge

KCSE ENGLISH 2016 PAPER 1

Shouting and screaming from your class monitor, you have been called by the teacher on duty to her office to give an explanation. 

Complete the conversation below by filling in the black space.

 

Teacher: You are the class monitor of Form Two East, aren’t you? 

You:……………………………………………………………….. (1mk)

Teacher: Why was your class shouting and screaming? 

You: I’m not sure madam. The noise started at the back of the classroom. 

Teacher:………………………………………………………… (1mk)

You: You see madam, I sit at the front of the classroom and by the time I turned to look, the boys at the back were already on top of the desks and some were trying to jump out of the window. 

Teacher:……………………..…………………………….……… (1mk)

You: I ran out, madam! 

Teacher:……………………..…………………………….……… (1mk)

You: I ran out, madam! 

Teacher:……………………..…………………………….……… (1mk)

You: I am sorry madam, but it seemed like there was great danger in the middle of the class. I had to run for my life. 

Teacher: When the noise subsided, why did you find out? 

You:……………………………………………………………….. (1mk)

Teacher: Snake? 

You:……………………………………………………………….. (1mk)

Teacher: Whose toy snake was it? 

You:……………………………………………………………….. (1mk)

Teacher: You can go now, but I will need to know whose toy snake it was. 

You:……………………………………………………………….. (1mk)


Next we analyse oral skills notes on personal space.


Which words are considered polite in your community? Please share in the comments.



Post a Comment

0 Comments